Whether you have been a vegetarian for years or you’re a carnivore who is trying to incorporate more meat-free meals in your diet, when you’re cooking vegetarian, the most important macronutrient to keep in mind is protein. Vegetarians often struggle to get enough protein in their diets when they first make the switch because they are used to getting it from animals. While eating meat certainly makes it easier to eat a high-protein diet, you can still be plant-based and protein packed. In this blog, we will go over some simple vegetarian recipes that have plenty of protein to fuel your workout!
Mexican Zucchini BoatsIngredients
- 4 zucchini (large)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup of brown rice (cooked)
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- ½ red onion
- 2 tbsps of olive oil
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 2 tsps of cumin
- ½ cup of fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13” casserole dish and set aside.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise. Hollow out the center of each side using a spoon. Brush with olive oil and place them in the dish.
- Warm a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook until onion is translucent, about two to three minutes. Add rice, beans, and corn with salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for five minutes, remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro and salt, then spoon the filling into the zucchini boats. Sprinkle with cheese, then cover with foil and place in oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove foil and bake for another five minutes.
- Allow to cool, then top with fresh cilantro and serve.
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 bunch of spinach
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until they’re translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes. Follow with the spices.
- Allow mixture to simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
- Whole wheat bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 whole egg
- Black pepper, to taste
- Toast your bread. While you wait, mash avocado and stir in garlic powder and black pepper.
- In the meantime, fry your egg sunny side up.
- Spread avocado on toast and place the fried egg on top.
- Note: this recipe can be customized to your tastes! Add cheese, veggies such as bell peppers and mushrooms, or switch it up with your favorite herbs and spices.
These are just some of the high-protein vegetarian options out there. At our gym in Medford, we are dedicated to helping you reach your fitness goals. Contact us today to get started with a gym membership!